StarForce MMOG is specifically designed to provide protection for massively multiplayer online games (MMOG and MMORPG), including in-game transactions, against a variety of threats.
The threats are the following:
cheats and bots;
changing the game balance and character stats;
manipulation with DLL system libraries;
modification and substitution of game resources (maps, textures, and so on.);
unauthorized access to modification of game variables;
debugging and analysis;
hacking of paid options;
receiving of important encrypted data batches by a fake server application;
gaming server substitution;
MMO game localizer/operator cheating.
How StarForce MMOG works
To be protected, a game should be modified as follows:
Protection library is added to a gaming client. This library forms the basis of the protection.
The gaming client is modified to use the API-functions of the protection library.
Protection functionality is added to the gaming server.
StarForce server protects the gaming client before release over the Internet.
An MMO game protected by StarForce cannot be run unless it passes a number of checks confirming the following:
- The client’s application integrity;
- The client’s application originality;
- The gaming server’s authenticity certificate.
Massively multiplayer online games (MMOG) have become very popular throughout the world. Many players would like their game character’s abilities to grow quickly with little effort. That is why the use of bots, cheats and trainers are becoming widespread. It ruins the game balance between users. StarForce MMOG is used to prevent the use of unfair tactics, as well as to protect client applications and gaming servers.
Mail.Ru Group uses the StarForce MMOG solution to limit the harmful effects of cheats and bots in their gaming universe. The games of the company are distributed by a shareware model and do not require a monthly subscription fee. In this model, the sales of ingame items and currency provide the company's income. StarForce MMOG protects the client application against hacking, preventing malicious users from using third-party programs that violate the game balance.
See the full text of the testimonial
Nival Network is an independent video game developer and publisher with years of experience creating strategy and role-playing games. StarForce provided the company with reliable protection against cheats and bots for massively multiplayer online games. This solution has been specially developed by the StarForce team according to the requirements of the publisher to provide the highest level of tamper resistance for the client applications. Among other things, a game's traffic protection system and a system to verify the certificate of authenticity for gaming servers were developed for Nival.
Currently, Nival Network's online gaming projects are protected with StarForce MMOG, allowing the company not to worry about violations of the game balance and the outflow of players.
Protection via StarForce Cloud
The SDK is generated and as a result, the debug version of the protection library and auxiliary files are loaded onto the developer’s computer.
The protection is integrated into the gaming client code and the gaming server code. After the operation completes, the developer gets the compiled gaming client and the compiled gaming server. The gaming server does not require any processing and can be put into operation. The gaming client should be protected on the StarForce server, since many protection functions are substituted with stubs in the debug version of the protection library.
The gaming client is being protected. This step includes the following substeps.
The files added to the protection project in Protection Studio are substituted with the new files that contain the protection library calls.
The functions that need to be protected are selected and their protection method is specified.
Protection options are specified
The files are protected.
The developer creates the installation package and tests the application. It is necessary to test the operation of the protected application to make sure that the protection does not adversely affect the application performance (size, speed, etc.), It is also necessary to check the operation of the protection functions that were substituted with stubs in the debug version of the protection library (protection of application and read-only files against modification , protection against debuggers, etc.).
You can protect your software any time you like.
Protection by StarForce staff
StarForce offers the following chargeable services:
Protection is performed by StarForce employees and may include:
- Protection with functions selection;
- Protection without functions selection;
- Protection with functions to be selected by the customer.
Analysis of the protection performed by the customer.
StarForce MMOG supports protection of the following file formats:
- applications compiled into a PE-file containing executable machine code (native code) of x8632 and x8664 processors (file extension - EXE, DLL).
- applications compiled into an executable .NET-file (managed code). Extension of these files usually is EXE and DLL. The following versions of Net framework are supported: 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4,5.
- immutable data files of any format. In the process of data files protection the customer can use the following protection methods: checking a file’s integrity (protection against spoofing) and transferring a file to a container (hiding of files).
Please contact us if you need a consultation from our specialist.
- Protection against cheats and bots is realized by the following methods:
- integrity control of code and data of executable files;
- protection against the circumvention of integrity control of executables;
- protection of variables against modification;
- protection of functions against analysis and modification;
- protection against substitution of system libraries;
- protection of read-only data against substitution and modification;
- protection against running under debuggers and virtual machines.
- Protection of traffic against interception and modification in the process of communication between a user and a server is implemented by traffic encryption.
- Protection against gaming server's spoofing or local operator cheating. Authenticity certificates are embedded into the gaming servers. A client application checks the authenticity and expiration date (validity) of gaming server during interaction.
- Protection against a fake client application. The game contains a data processing algorithm protected against analysis that checks the authenticity of client applications.
Supported operating systems
- Windows Vista 32/64-bit;
- Windows 7 32/64-bit;
- Windows 8 32/64-bit;
- Windows 10 32/64-bit.
- Mac and Linux running Wine;
- Windows Server 2003 32/64-bit;
- Windows Server 2008.
Besides, the StarForce system provides protection against running protected applications on the following virtual machines.
- Virtual Box;
- VMware Workstation;
- Virtual PC;
- Windows Virtual ;
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008, Server 2008 R2, Server 2012.
- Application deactivation.
- Serial numbers editing.