Nowadays, most information is created, stored and transmitted in the form of electronic documents. This can be both corporate confidential materials like trade secrets and intellectual property, but also documents for sale (analytical reports, eLearning, etc.). These materials are usually copyrighted and infringements cause direct losses for publishers and authors.
Electronic documents can be divided into three types:
- Electronic documents containing confidential information for internal use only within a company: project documentation, guideline books, technology descriptions, databases, etc.
- Electronic documents as goods to sell: training courses, manuals, handbooks, books, magazines, etc.
- Electronic documents of a personal nature: photos, research papers, sketches, and drafts that are sent over the Internet.
StarForce Content Enterprise and StarForce E-m@il Enterprise were developed for corporate customers that require the deployment of solutions on the side of the enterprise with specific customization and integration. Both products are responsible for corporate information protection and usage control.
Online service for protection of electronic documents and video files against copying and piracy
StarForce Content (sfcontent.com) is a cloud service designed for corporate and private publishers, who need reliable protection of produced content, including books, magazines, training materials and eLearning programs. The main feature of the service is a built-in DRM system that allows managing distribution and controlling access to secure electronic documents.
Each user gets a personal account where he/she can manage own projects, generate the keys, collect statistics of activations, and integrate projects with online stores. SFContent users don’t need to download additional software to implement protection; all processes are carried out in the browser window, which greatly simplifies the work.
StarForce Content provides copy protection of electronic documents in the following file formats: PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, RTF, TXT, PPT, PPTX, JPG / JPEG, PNG, GIF and electronic documents based on HTML (HTML, images, CSS, Java code Script, flash-files, etc.).
A special StarForce Viewer program, which is available for free, is used to open the secure electronic documents. The viewer can be included in a single archive together with the protected documents, or can be downloaded separately at customer's choice. The second option is more preferable for those who are concerned about a file’s size.
Free secure email service for protection of messages and attachments against leakage
In comparison with StarForce Content, SFLetter.com is not just a means to protect electronic documents. It’s a fully-featured e-mail service, which can be used like any other. However, unlike common email services, SFLetter.com allows users to protect outgoing messages and attachments against copying, forwarding and printing, as well as to track emails by opening time and receiver’s IP address. You can protect any documents: personal (correspondence, photographs, drawings, scientific papers, sketches, etc.) and corporate (reports, plans, schedules, etc.).
Freelancers can be identified as a separate group. They create and send their work to customers by email. Using SFLetter.com, they can avoid theft or unauthorized borrowing of their ideas, and they can block the illegal publication of created digital materials.
The service provides two types of account: free and premium.
Free Account allows users to send protected files in PDF and JPG format and track emails by opening time and IP address. The storage size available for messages and attachments is 500 MB.
Premium Account greatly expands the capabilities of the service:
- 200GB of space to store messages and attachments.
- Support of an extended list of file formats for tracking and copy protection: PDF, DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, RTF, JPG, PNG, and GIF.
- Ability to restrict access to protected electronic documents by time and date before sending; after access expires the recipient will no longer be able to open and read protected attachments.
- Ability to revoke access remotely to already sent emails.
- Settings for offline-access to sent emails and attachments (can be selected to allow a recipient access to a protected email, independent on availability of an Internet connection).
Similar to StarForce Content, all protected emails and electronic documents are opened with StarForce Viewer. This application has built-in protection against illegal copying and forwarding to third parties.
Both products use the StarForce DRM system, which allows to securely protect all created and transmitted electronic documents against a variety of threats. In addition, it provides the ability to collect statistics, track the movement of secure emails and documents and restrict access to protected content by time.